Sunday, March 29, 2009

Hot Spell anthology

This is a collection of paranormal romance short stories, each written by a different author. I picked this up because it includes the first story in the Guardians series.

"Falling for Anthony" by Meljean Brook: This worked well as an introduction to the Guardians series. Anthony & Emily's relationship was interesting and the mythos was intriguing without being overwhelming. The only downside for me was that I'm pretty burnt out on vampires so the parts of the story involving Collin weren't that interesting to me.

Grade: B

Will I read the next book in the series? Yes. I'm looking forward to reading more abut Hugh & Lilith.

I also read “Blood Kiss” by Shiloh Walker, but didn't like it nearly as much as "Falling for Anthony". I ended up feeling the same way about it that I did about The Missing---basically well-written, but not particularly original. Anyone familiar w/the genre knows this story, right down to the very convenient plot “twist” at the end. If I had liked the story more the fact that the main characters are Julianna Capiet & Roman Montgomery would have seemed like a fun shout out. Instead it just made me roll my eyes.

I didn't read the other 2 stories.

“The Breed Next Door” by Lora Leigh. I had to take Lora Leigh off my author list a while ago. Her writing switches my "scoff" button to the permanent on position, so I end up picking the story apart & that's not fun.

“The Countess's Pleasure by Emma Holly. I like her contemporaries. Her historicals/yama stories, not so much. I have far too many other books to read to spend time on something I know I won't really enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment