Monday, March 9, 2009

Casting Spells by Barbara Bretton

As the only non-magical resident of idyllic Sugar Maple, Vermont Chloe Hobbs has never entirely fit in with her neighbors. She has good friends and her knitting shop, Sticks and Strings, is thriving but her love life is a disaster. The loneliness is bad enough, but the situation is made worse by the fact that the town is unusually invested in finding Chloe a magical Mr. Right. Things get even more complicated when a visitor dies under odd circumstances and the outside world takes notice of the fact that Sugar Maple doesn't have a police force. Former Boston PD detective Luke MacKenzie agrees to step in and sort out the situation. Chloe knows that she has to hide the town's secrets and avoid getting involved with an outsider, but Luke proves hard to resist. Before long Choe's life changes in ways she didn't expect and isn't prepared for.

This book is an odd hybrid of romance and the supernatural, some of which is funny and some of which is rather dark. Even with the darker elements it was a fairly insubstantial read, but it was also fun. Chloe, Luke and the townspeople are all charming and some of the lines made me laugh out loud. It's the kind of book that's perfect for a few hours entertainment when you just want something light.

My only real gripe is that even though the story was complete it somehow had the feel of being the first in a series. That would be fine except I didn't find any indication that there will be another book, so I was left wondering how I'm supposed to feel about this one.

Grade: B-

1 comment:

  1. I read an excerpt of this book and it read great, but I wasn't sure. I'm a knitter, but don't generally like knitting in my books. I'll have to give this one a try though. Thanks for the good review.

    ReplyDelete